This mod removes the rebel fleet pursuit, allowing you to take your time travelling through each sector visiting each warp point. Makes the game significantly easier but still offers some challenge.
EDIT: This mod no longer works.
It is also possible to hex edit save files, as they are not protected.
- The modified
prof.saveshould be placed in
My Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight.
- Warning, this will erase all profile information, including previous high scores, achievements and other data.
Warning: Crashes can occur if the wrong Addresses are modified! Make sure you're modifying the right address or else you carry a very high chance of crashing the game.
Using Cheat Engine:
- Download & install Cheat Engine: http://www.cheatengine.org/
- Start a new game of FTL, and run Cheat Engine
- Click the image of the computer on the upper left.
- Locate FTLGame.exe in the list, select it, and press " Open"
- In the box labelled "Value:" enter the value of what you want to change. (eg: if you have 30 scrap, type "30" into the box.) Click "First Scan" (Note: Downloading a cheat table might be useful as it isolates common variables [i.e. missiles, scrap])
- Change the Value of what you want to change. (eg: add scrap from battle or lose scrap from buying something)
- Enter the new value into the box and click "Next Scan"
- Repeat the above step until you have 2 addresses found on the left side
- Click an address (highlighting it blue), right-click it and select "Change the value of the selected addresses"
- Enter any number, then click OK.
- Check the game to see if the value of what you wanted to change changed
- If it has, double-click the highlighted address, it will be moved to the bottom of the window
- If it hasn't, double-click the address that isn't highlighted, it will be moved to the bottom of the window
- If you want to, right-click the address at the bottom of the window, go to "Change Record -> Description" and set a description for the address (usually the name of what it changes)
- When you want to change the value, right-click the address at the bottom, and go to "Change Record -> Value" and enter the desired value.
- If you want to add more recorded addresses, click "New Scan" (above the "Value:" box) and go back to Step 5.
- You're done!
Memory Editing on Mac
If you play Faster Than Light on Mac OS X, Bit Slicer is similar to Poke. Bit Slicer for Mac. Choose the 32-bit Integer type and specify that it is Unsigned. There are various ports of Cheat Engine to OS X, however.
Memory Editing on Linux
The Linux equivalent of Poke is a command-line utility called scanmem. The neat thing with scanmem is that you can run multiple instances at once, to track different values. It is as easy to use as poke.
The basics are:
- Download scanmem. apt-get install scanmem OR yum install scanmem
- Start up your game and get to the point where you are looking at your chosen ship in space. Open a command line and find the PID (process ID) of your game.
- type ps -ef | grep -i FTL and look for an executable named "FTL". If there are several results, try the one with the highest PID.
- Start scanmem as root (or with sudo permissions), and set the PID you want to scan. If the pid is 1234, type pid 1234
- Type the current number that you want to track, and hit enter. It will locate all instances of that number.
- Do something to change that number in-game, then enter the new value into scanmem. Keep doing this until it pares down to 2-3 matches.
- If it very quickly returns 0 results, you are likely scanning the wrong PID, or you scanned the PID before the game was underway. Try scanning the PID again, or scan a different PID.
- With matches pared down to a few, type list to see them. They will be assigned list numbers.
- Set an entry to a different value by typing set # value. So to set entry #1 value to 1000, type set 1 1000
- You should see your value change in game. If it does not, you picked the wrong entry- set the value back to normal and try tweaking a different entry.
- Bonus: you can track a value in scanmem as it changes, by typing watch # with # being the entry number from list command.
So, the whole thing looks like:
root@d3athPC:~# ps -ef | grep -i ftl
1002 21866 21104 0 02:56 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh -c "/home/user/Steam/SteamApps/common/FTL Faster Than Light/FTL"
1002 21867 21866 0 02:56 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /home/user/Steam/SteamApps/common/FTL Faster Than Light/FTL
1002 21868 21867 99 02:56 ? 00:02:26 /home/user/Steam/SteamApps/common/FTL Faster Than Light/data/amd64/bin/FTL
root 21899 21308 0 02:59 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i ftl
- PID 21868 is the one we want.
scanmem version 0.13
Enter the pid of the process to search using the "pid" command.
Enter "help" for other commands.
0> pid 21868
info: maps file located at /proc/21868/maps opened.
info: 35 suitable regions found.
- Lets say our ammo is at 16. Start tracking that.
info: 01/35 searching 0x889000 - 0x89e000...........ok
info: 35/35 searching 0x7fffb4c2a000 - 0x7fffb4c73000...........ok
info: we currently have 1698010 matches.
- Now we fire off a missile, leaving 15.
info: we currently have 11 matches.
- Firing another...
info: we currently have 2 matches.
[ 0] 0x1bae4f04, 14, [I64 I32 I16 I8 ]
[ 1] 0x1bc3e8c0, 14, [I64 I32 I16 I8 ]
2> set 0 100
info: setting *0x1bc3e8c0 to 64...
- Missiles will now read 100
Game Trainers on Linux
By far the best game trainer on Linux is the universal elite game trainer ugtrain as it comes with dynamic memory support by preloading libraries for memory discovery and memory hacking (using LD_PRELOAD). It takes over control of dynamic memory objects and can modify everything inside. It uses scanmem for discovery and matches found memory addresses on the heap to recorded memory allocations. The tool comes with example configs for FOSS games like Chromium B.S.U. or Warzone 2100 with automatic adaption so that you can use them right away on your system. Also security measures like ASLR/PIE are bypassed.
The methods are not trivial. So it is best to ask maintainer Sebastian Parschauer for support.
All other tools like Game Conqueror, gamecheater, lintrainer or Tursiops are too basic and do not even work for static memory any more because of ASLR/PIE.
Save Game Unlocks
A save game which has all ships unlocked has been released.
Save Game Editor
Updated version: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o7o1mi
Another save game editor was created with Excel macros at mediafire.
This editor is compatible across Windows, Mac and Linux, including abilities to edit both profile(achievements/unlock) and saved files: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10959
This is another editor: https://github.com/Vhati/ftl-profile-editor
Here's another save/profile/crew/inventory editor: www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877 (outdated as of 4/8/2014 and AE) shit
It is possible to 'quick save' by saving and quitting, (alt-tabbing out is enough) and then making manual backup copies of the
continue.sav file, and restoring them when one dies.
On linux the savegames is located in your home directory under .local/share/FasterThanLight/ On Windows it's located in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\my games\fasterthanlight\
This would be considered cheating by some players and may spoil enjoyment of the game. It goes against the intentions of the developer's desire for the player to experience permanent death, a standard feature of many roguelike games. However, it can usefully allow you to hit the final event for the Secret Ship challenge, by replaying the final necessary sector, and it can be helpful for "saving" a favoured ship configuration for later review.
Crew members gain skills when in combat. If an enemy ship can not penetrate one's shields and can't do hull damage, you can stay in combat indefinitely (unless they jump). This allows the opportunity to train crew members to maximum skill.
The above (in regards to powerleveling shield skill) is no longer true in FTL version 1.03.3 As of 2013-07-13 it is still possible to power-level your shields by leaving the game running in an asteroid field.
- You can use an asteroid field to powerlevel your shield. Just unman your pilot seat and sit back.
- You can use an asteroid field to powerlevel your engines and pilot as well, though only misses count. Just make sure you've got the shields to protect you when they don't miss. This will take considerably longer than the shields.