Hex Editing
It is also possible to hex edit save files, as they are not protected.
- The modified
prof.saveshould be placed in
My Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight.
- Warning, this will erase all profile information, including previous high scores, achievements and other data.
 Memory Editing
Simple run down:
- Download Poke
- Open Poke and Start a new game of FTL
- Select FTL in Poke
- Find the number you want to change (Like Scrap -- Default is 10 when you are just starting out)
- Click the "Add" Button in Poke
- Select DWORD and Search for your value
- Change your value in game (Like shoot a missle or earn scrap)
- Enter the new value into poke and search again
- Keep changing the value in FTL and keep searching until you get 2 (two) Values
- Add both locations and try to change one of them
- If it subtracts from the value in game its the other location
 Memory Editing on Mac
If you play Faster Than Light on Mac OS X, Bit Slicer is similar to Poke. Bit Slicer for Mac. Choose the 32-bit Integer type and specify that it is Unsigned.
 Save Game Unlocks
A save game which has all ships unlocked has been released.
 Save Game Editor
Another save game editor was created with Excel macros at mediafire.
It is possible to 'quick save' by saving and quitting, and then making manual backup copies of the
continue.sav file, and restoring them when one dies.
on linux the savegames is located in your home directory under .local/share/FasterThanLight/
This would be considered cheating by some players and may spoil enjoyment of the game. It goes against the intentions of the developer's desire for the player to experience permanent death, a standard feature of many roguelike games. However, it can usefully allow you to hit the final event for the Secret Ship challenge, by replaying the final necessary sector, and it can be helpful for "saving" a favoured ship configuration for later review.
 Powerlevel Crew
Crew members gain skills when in combat. If an enemy ship cannot penetrate one's shields and can't do hull damage, you can stay in combat indefinitely (unless they jump). This allows the opportunity to train crew members to maximum skill.
The above (in regards to powerleveling shield skill) is no longer true in FTL version 1.03.3